| || |
- I've been married 16 years and have three children (all boys). I'm a school social worker which means I work with and help families and children and I love what I do.
I first decided to become relaxer-free nearly 20 years ago.
My last relaxer was in 1992. I transitioned from relaxed hair gradually by wearing braided extensions 2 months at a time then clipping the ends every time I took them down until all the relaxer had been cut off. So I didn't really do a BC. I'd describe my hair as having mostly medium-sized strands (with a few fine strands here and there), high density and low porosity. My reason for deciding to get off the relaxer "merry-go-round" was mainly because I couldn't get my hair to grow past shoulder length and I was tired of it breaking off intermittently. I wanted my hair to reach its potential in growth and believed in my heart that if I just took care of it properly my hair could grow to my waist.
During my first 6 years relaxer-free, I didn't really take care of my hair properly and my hair once again never grew past my shoulders. Talk about frustrated! I decided to loc my hair and I wore them for 12 years. During that time, my hair did grow to my waist (kissing the top of my hips) but after 12 years, I was ready to go back to unloc'd natural hair again. I had learned about some things I had done wrong before with unloc'd hair that had prevented me from retaining length and I was ready to dive back in feet first and give it another whirl.
So I cut my locs to chin length then took them down. It took me 12 to 14 days (not consecutive days) and I had 4 1/2 to 5 inches of unloc'd, relaxer-free hair when all was said and done. So that's where I am now. My hair is growing because I'm taking care of it better but I'll believe I can reach waist length once my hair hits a length that it has never hit before and I'm successful at continuing to retain length.
Anyway, I am enjoying my journey and can state with absolute certainty that I will never put a permanent relaxer on my hair to straighten it again.
Thanks for stopping by and please do sign my guestbook as well as friending me.
- General Information
- Sunday, March 7, 2010
- English and Spanish
- I'm here for:
- Photo sharing, Friends
- Not friend:
- add to friends
to send a gift
There are no gifts yet! Be the first to send this user a virtual gift!
- My Cities
- Background & Lifestyle
- Marital status:
- Sexual orientation:
- Proud parent
- Black/African descent
- Christian - other
- Interests & Personality
- God the creator, reading, writing, and recently began involvement with TaeKwonDo training (with my 7 year old son).
- SciFi (i.e. Star Trek, Avatar), Musicals (i.e. Sound of Music, Annie), Drama (i.e. Soul Food, This Christmas), Inspirational (i.e. Cool Runnings, Satisfaction)
- No time to watch really but when I can catch it like House, Grey's Anatomy, Law and Order, Cold Case, Harry's Law, Glee, The Game)
- My husband, my parents, Harriet Tubman (BRAVE and BOLD woman)
- Ecletic reader of fiction novels. Also the bible.
- Chicoro, luvmylocs, NaturallyNiké, Stephelise, foxychoconapps.blogspot.com, Babybabybabybaby, Nana-banana, IAmNata, HAIRoine
- Friend of:
- luvmylocs, Ijustnice, New Feature on Blog, check it out!, NaturallyNiké, ItsGood2BKinky, Stephelise, Babybabybabybaby, Nana-banana, HAIRoine