| || |
- Ghana_girl713 UPDATES FINALLY!!!!!!!!!!!!
- I initially joined this Fotki community the summer before I entered my sophomore year in college. The year prior had been one of profound change for me. I had just moved to California to attend college, going against the wishes of my parents and choosing a path that most peers from my high school found to be a bit crazy.
Southern California was quite different from New York City - the city my Ghanaian parents now called home, and certainly different from Concord, New Hampshire, where I had attended boarding school. I was completely lost! I did not know what I wanted to study. And so, to postpone being a grown up and being "serious", I decided to take a Black Studies course that blew my mind and opened up my world!
Because of it, I began to think about the politics of my hair and that of the rest of the African diaspora. The knowledge I acquired had such an impact on my person that I decided to cut off my straight hair - what I had previously considered to be a prized possession, and allow my hair to grow the way that God and my ancestry had meant for it to grow.
Through the journey, I felt quite a bit of doubt and uncertainty in my decision. After all, as an African, I had been socialized to conform. If anyone in this community has ever attended school in Ghana or other parts of Africa, you will understand what I am talking about. In school, you raised your hand and were told the right time to speak. Questioning authority? That was outside the realm of possibility. And here I was, questioning something that has been indoctrinated in us Africans for years and years; straight hair is professional hair and if you want to succeed in life, the hair has to be straight.
My doubt was exacerbated by the fact that I went to visit my family in Ghana during my transition to natural hair. No matter where I went, everyone asked me what I was doing with my hair. Aunts, uncles, cousins, and even strangers would laugh off my decision, rationalizing that it was because I was an American now. After all, Americans are crazy. Despite the ridicule, I persisted with my decision.
Now, I am 23 and still natural. I could not be happier with my decision. There are still moments of doubt. Walking down the street, there are times when I feel as if I am being ridiculed for this hair. Before interviews, I still panic. However, having this hair has catalyzed more self-reflection and introspection than I ever thought I would experience at this age. Being different has made me ask questions that others do not ask, and I am more comfortable as a result. So, next time I go to Ghana and people question my decisions, I will not feel insecure. I will not validate their opinions of me by questioning my decisions. I will take the time to explain myself, and let them know the reasons for my actions. NO, I AM NOT CRAZY! I AM SANER THAN I EVER WAS BECAUSE I KNOW MYSELF AND I LOVE MYSELF!
- General Information
- Wednesday, June 6, 2007
- English, Spoken Twi (Dialect in Ghana), Limited French and Spanish Proficiency
- I'm here for:
- Photo sharing, Friends, Networking
- Not friend:
- add to friends
- Contact Information
- Google Talk:
to send a gift
There are no gifts yet! Be the first to send this user a virtual gift!
- My Cities
- Also lived in:
- Background & Lifestyle
- Marital status:
- Sexual orientation:
- Light (social) drinker
- I don't have kids yet
- College graduate
- Black/African descent
- Body type:
- Taller than average
- Deecoily, SweetAfrica, AFashionSlave, ~JaZiToNeS~.... Little Update Nov 2011, Napptical1, Sdivine, Maestradiva77, Naturallybeautiful, Nybabee1718, Natitwists, *jenteel* 8/30/12, AngelicDarkCoils, eboniwoman, LovelyMissYoli **2 Years Overdue Updates**, Erin, cher79, Mia - This Album Will be Closing for Good in July, so1913 (Re-Opened!!!), SepiaAngel (mini-update for 04/24/13), NaturallyBeautiful (March 2011 Updates!), going natural, Honesty.. I'm back!!!!!, Sera25 (2nd Album):No PW-7 Yrs Natural 3-10-11*, ღAwura Afua........ Update April,!!, DefinitionofLove, Ineka, Young, BlkButterfly__updated 7/9/08, AuNappturale *updated 12/28, Nappilymi, btrfli1172 back after a looooong time away!!!!, Frolicious! - Feb 2011 updates, brownsugasoso, Blksnflwr, BeautifulJamila, blkgyrl103 www.soulfulwares.com, Jenny..Updates Coming!, ♥ NappyLove: UPDATED: 4 JAN 2012 ♥, Majels 2006-Loc Update 1/27/13, NaPPyRae^_^, HoneyKiss, tffy2004, Higherdaze, Neosoulgurl *UpDated March 28, 2009*, Virtuousjewel~ Pregnant~~2011 Up-dates Soon!, Ebonypixie, Ashanti02, Catheadface, SouthernGlamour , Stillgoingnatural1, ~Lovemenatural~ 2010 Updates 2/22/10, Aijo, Turnergirl **12/20/10 Small Update***, SD - BC'd. Updates to come shortly..., Harana, Afrocano07-2 (2/28/10) Updates!!!), Angel100, J'adore Enter the Baddest Natural Style Contest, FunHair55 .....Updates 11/2008 been gone a year, Southern_Belle...is Jumping the Broom soon!!!!, Loolalooh ~*~*UPDATES: OCTOBER 14, 2012*~*~, Patchouli85, Pampooobear2, Camille *Updates 5/21/13*, TR_NYC | UPDATED 08/21, NappyH *update Oct 24th*, CrownofGlory, Chicfro, **ClassyLady** Updates 2/22/2010, Lil-miss-fizz, Meaganita, Nalina , Truuvirgo, SecretJewel, Anne-sophie (april updates!), ☆ SabrinaRenee ☆ ***AFK***, Linguistic Aesthetics, LLC, Happy2BeNappy (is Back!), Chevyice
- Friend of:
- ~JaZiToNeS~.... Little Update Nov 2011, Nappy Nelle, ♥Purpulicious ON HAITUS UNITL 2010♥, svrbrownsuga, Shatani:The Sequel **updates**, phillygyrl, Neosoulgurl *UpDated March 28, 2009*, Hoping to update my albums w/ Fotki app -12/15/12, BeautifulTree, Nubinikki, Ashanti02, Prototype1913, UniquelyMe (Mrs. Hobbs), thanks for the love ladies!, Scarcity21-2 starting over...updates 1/7/10, Updates 2010 Helical-hair-representative, WonderWoman345 (see you around), Nellybly18 (FALL 09-WINTER 10 UPDATES!!!)****, EmpressRi ~March updates (finally)!, Melonie, Olablessings has BC'ed AGAIN and needs hairstyles!, LiberianGirl~ been busy, will update SOON!!, Patchouli85, Afrochica, Camille *Updates 5/21/13*, •∞SimpliciDee~Nappy∞• camera's workin!, NappilySue *UPDATES 7/11*, Kenyaste, Spicybrown55, IS BACK , Jordan***OCT 2009, Céce [Small Update Dec 16 2010], Nalina , UneekDiva - Who Gon Check Me Boo? LOL, SuggieBrown, Natural n' African-- More Updates!, Quest4beauty**small updates **3/13/09**, Luvbenet- Flat Ironed Hair at Luvbenet2 page!!!!, Millionaire Kinks, BC WILL SOON COME AND WEIGHT LOSS PICTURE TOO, NUBIENNE, ♥DEBZ♥youtube.com/theMANEtopic, CurlyGirl, Nappybell ***2 YEAR UPDATES 11/10/09***, Mimbwab, Nkoyo's Grand-Daughter, Konye618 *updated 6/22/2008*, Naturalangel, BonitaApplebum updates!!!, Filmstar08, Chicadouce, SherryJ! - **Updates Aug 2nd, 2011!!**, Tropicbabe82, HairCrush, New Locs .... Rebirth 7/15 pics coming soon, Larutan, NIK*STAR **www.NikGLifeAndStyle.com**, HanahBanana(BC! All Natural MARCH '09), E-NICE, AbenaAnima, ValJean-FINALLY ADDED MY HAIR ALBUMS!!01/18/2009, Belle Cheveux **02/24/10 - 1st Nappiversary**, ChloeBee818, Nubngenesis, Happysexycool, Mznaturalc, Chevyice, T-Max, Urban1, NappynHappy0502, Sundayzchild, UrArchitect - checking for some neat updos, NaturallyNiké, PrettyKnappy08-Slowly fallin back n love w/my hair, Suga's Suite: Extensions & Makeup, NuSoulSista......*100% Natural* UPDATES OF 2009/10, BeautyO, Helifano[(Nov.2oo9] updates, ShineyGurl , Natural Woman- That's Me (DPoullardLewis), Proudofmyheritage, Bine95c, GodsChild (Locs!!!), Spiritoffaith29, JamTQueen, Laila-Jean ♥♥ Finally BC'd♥, Elizabeth **Now on Youtube ..TheStrawberricurls**, Blackismybeautiful ♥•*♥* new September album, Smkr, XxMiss-Charmingxx, Noela08, Princesspen, Cocoachild, Bellacnella18, *CurleeDimples - in Senegalese twists March 2012*, All About Hair - mine, yours, and theirs, Cgirl20, Beautyfulhair, Victoria Tilla, Latrell-Renee