| || |
- I am a dabbler in all things art. I went to art school to study photography, moved to Boston to work for professional commercial photographers, and traveled the states on a shooting spree. I was trained in traditional film and print processes before digital had it's uprising. I abandoned photography for many years and did not create anything.
I moved to Richmond in 2002 to pursue a degree in Art Therapy, fell into Art Education and became a middle school art teacher in an inner city school district. I taught art for three years at the middle school level and quickly burned out on the heartbreaking state of the school system. I took two years off from art to heal. Three months ago I picked up an art book collaboration that I started with my friend three years ago. This led to a daily frenzied obsession with art-making. I began drawing portraits inspired by Bellocq's Storyville Photographs. These women are called my "Painted Ladies" because they were prostitutes and I paint their hair in meticulous, obsessive patterns. I mainly use graphite, Ink, Gouache, and watercolors to create my ladies.
I am also hooked on photography again. For the past three weeks, I average 50-75 shots a day, sometimes up to 300. I can't stop! Everything in my life is now centered around the creative process. From my rituals and routines, the foods I eat, the music I listen to, the places I visit, and the people and animals I surround myself with.
Directions I plan to take my work include: mapmaking, doorways, nature-man connections, roots, portraits, large-scale, macro work, scars, fears, book-making, etching, hand building, jewelry. So many possibilities. I wish I had more time.
Every artist influences my work. In particular: Frida Khalo, Iain Macarthur, Jan Fontcuberta, Bellocq, Cindy Sherman, Alexis Rockman, Ernst Haeckel, Kerry James Marshall, Sophie Calle, Alice Neel, Carmen Lomas Garza, Kara Walker, Minnie Evans, Henry Darger, Sean Mahan, Outside Artists, Local Artists, Aboriginal Artists, and on and on....
The magic has begun, the door is open. I plan for my work to feed like starter yeast. I anticipate having a show before the year is over. I hope to start selling my work. I am finally unafraid of letting others into my world. I am excited to share my work with others and always look for some healthy criticism!
- General Information
- Thursday, July 22, 2010
- Art, Bluetick Hound, Painting, Nature, Insects, Bones, Dogs, Portraits, Drawing
- I'm here for:
- Photo sharing, Serious relationships, Friends, Networking
- Not friend:
- add to friends
- Contact Information
- Personal website:
to send a gift
- My Cities
- Also lived in:
- Background & Lifestyle
- Marital status:
- Sexual orientation:
- Light (social) drinker
- I don't have kids yet
- College graduate
- Body type:
- Some extra baggage
- Interests & Personality
- Art, Teaching, Photography, Drawing, Painting, Reading, Movies, Book-making, Collaborating, Nature
- Lots and Lots
- Pan's Laberynth, Book of Eli, Secretary, Me You and Everyone We Know, The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo, most foreign and indie films
- Lost, Dexter, Weeds, Californication, CSI, Burn Notice, reality shows:)
- My Dad and Mom, My Grandmothers Mimi and Lorraine, My brother and his family, My Aunt Su, My cousin Beth, Thomas Dean, Sean Mahan, Katie Helms, Ghandi, Martin Luther King Jr, Robbie Land, and soooo many others!
- Middlesex, The Handmaids Tale, I'll add more later...
- OLKA, v i v i a n e =(;)-O =¦, TrishaMonster
- Friend of:
- My Tags:
Sort: alphabetically | by popularity