| || |
- Mikaela- approaching 5 yrs natural!
- For those of you on Fotki who would like to save any of my pics you can easily use the favorite button below my pics and the pic will automatically be added to your favorite list on your fotki page located on the left menu. To change who can see your favorites and if anyone could add your pics to their favorites list change your settings here-> http://myaccount.fotki.com/settings/privacy/
Save yourself the bookmarking! Fotki makes things easier :)
My name is Mikaela and since i was about 9 years or so I've had my hair relaxed. allllll my life I've been blessed with long thick hair and it has grown on me. i could never see myself cutting off all my hair but as the years have gone by, I've done a lot of experimenting with dies and such and it has damaged my hair badly. It could be a factor that i don't take care of my hair enough or the way i should but i still believe its because of over processing and just to much experimenting...!!!
Back in high school I did contemplate the idea of going natural and I reach so far as to go a while without relaxer and even cutting a lil patch of hair above my ear to track the grow lol. Eventually I relaxed. I'm glad I didn’t do it back then because I didn’t know all the stuff that I know now and to go natural in high school after the length I had would have been a mess. I don’t think I would’ve been able to withstand all the comments and criticism.
♥♥Decision to Transition♥♥
I finally decided to transition in March 2007 after just one day getting fed up with my hair and started searching for info about going natural. Boy did I find a lot of stuff I got hooked on natural hair info and thank God was introduced to Fotki. It was because of fotki and all the inspiring ladies with their hair and stories that made me finally joined fotki and made a pledge to go through with the natural thing.
♥♥My Big chop decision♥♥
So in my 7th month post relaxer (4th in actively transitioning) I BC! You can read my experience and the first reaction I got from others here--> http://public.fotki.com/msmikamika/mikahairblog/all-natural!!!!!/first-year-natural-/my-bc-experience-an/
You can view my Big chop pics here--> http://public.fotki.com/msmikamika/mikahairblog/all-natural!!!!!/first-year-natural-/the-big-chop!!-bc-d/
Long hair girls get ready to be inspired! You can do it too!!
♥♥Advice to all the ladies like me are thinking about going natural♥♥
I just want to say first off make it your decision to do this and do it for the right reasons. I know it takes for a lot of us fried and broken off hair to actually start considering to go natural. That’s what got me thinking about it. but I soon did it for me and:
• Found out what those chemicals are really doing to my hair
• Realized how having my hair relaxed changed my perception of beautiful hair and the perception that I had of my own natural hair which was something that I didn’t really give a lot of thought to only when it started getting hard and dried out and then I’d be like “mann I need to get a relaxer again!” I mean what kind of mentality is that?
• Starting being proud of my natural stresses and started to actually show it off as early as my transition.
• I decided I wanted to inspire others to go natural as well by giving other ladies the facts and prove to them that this is the way to go
You are welcome to leave comments and inspiring messages on my fotki.
First relaxer: 1996 or 1997
Last relaxer: november 2006
Big Chop: june 15th 2007
Length at Big Chop: +- 2 inches all over
Ultimate goal : Bra strap or a bit longer ( but we'll see. In the meantime i just want my hair to growwwww and be healthy lol)
- General Information
- Thursday, March 1, 2007
- long hair, going natural, transitioning, relaxed hair,nappy,st maarten,netherlands antilles, caribbean, caribbeannaturalhairscene, website, island
- I'm here for:
- Photo sharing, Friends, Networking
- Not friend:
- add to friends
- Contact Information
- removed because of spam but if you would like to contact me via email msg me in my guest book!!
- Personal website:
to send a gift
- My Cities
- Background & Lifestyle
- Marital status:
- In a relationship
- Sexual orientation:
- I never drink
- I don't have kids yet
- In college
- Black/African descent
- I'm From the friendly island of St. Maarten.. it's in the Netherlands Antilles (soon to be Dutch Caribbean)
- Body type:
- Shorter than average
- Interests & Personality
- i love singing but lately havent been really active in it. i also love dancing (as a passtime) and working on my laptop!!!
- im not a sports person!!
- dancehall,zouk,kompa,soca,r+b,gospel,carnival music!!!! (GOTTA REPRESENT THE CARIBBEAN)
- saw 1+2, the passion of the Chirst, shrek 1, happy feet,
- the nanny, golden girls
- God, the saints in heaven.. and my mom..i really look up to her..
- virgin's triangle and miguel's street (not really a reader though)