| || |
- Loving Naturalness
- My natural journey officially began Dec. 31, 2006. I had micros in and spent all of New Year’s Eve taking them out. After getting all the braids out; I looked at my new growth and fell in love. Then something hit me: “you should go natural Dionne.” You can call it Divine Inspiration.
I immediately did a goggle search on natural hair. I was amazed at all of the information that was out there. I visited websites like motown girl, and nappturality. I started reading about the crown and glory technique. I loved the look of one of my colleagues and my piano instructor who were both natural. My piano instructor was in the process of locking her hair. She referred me to Shaundrelle at Schatzi’s (a natural salon). I went in for a consultation appointment. After leaving that appointment I was convinced (more than ever) that I was doing the right thing. I booked the appointment for my first cut.
I continued to read tons of online journals and view pictures of ladies wearing natural hair. I was inspired to not only go natural but to also tell my story. So, here I am, anxious to see how this story unravels.
Last relaxer: Sept. 22, 2006
BC: Feb. 18, 2007
Jan. 1, 2008: it's been exactly one year since I received divine revelation to stop living the lye. 2007 was a year of change. I started a new job. I had to learn how to work with natural hair. Now, I love my job and I love my hair. I hope to inspire others to embrace their inner beauty, be true to who you are and to not be afraid to try new things. And, did I say LOVE YOUR NATURAL COILS! I anxiously anticipate the changes to come in 2008. Thanks for taking this ride with me.
Jan. 1, 2009: It's been 2 years since I received divine inspiration to wear my hair natural and I love it! My hair is growing, is healthy, and is very versatile. I'm excited about year 3, more growth, new styles, and an overall Gloriously healthy head of natural hair, God's gift to me.
Jan. 1, 2010: Another year . . . I am still here and it's by the grace of God!!!! I'm sooooo happy to be entering year 4 of the natural hair experience. In 2009, I played around with color, tried a lot of new (all natural) products, got my first "real" trim from a natural stylist, and tried lots of funky styles (like the fro hawk). I'm happy, overjoyed that many of my friends have decided to "go natural" and say I'm their motivation. Rock on afro. This year my focus will be on growing my hair to be big, full, and as healthy as it can be.
Jan. 1, 2011: I'm having fun with my hair. . . I must say I am having a lot of fun rocking my natural. In 2010 I wore my hair in braid/twist extensions for most of the year hoping to grow my hair. Well, my hair didn't grow much at all:( This year, I will be trying a lot of new styles, mainly updos. No more color, very little to no heat, deep conditioning at least weekly, and no more braid extensions. Year 5, here I come.
Jan. 2, 2012: Wow, what a journey this has been. I have not regretted going natural AT ALL. I so wish I had done this years ago. My goals for 2012: very little to no heat, more protective styles, and (even though I love getting color in my hair) no color this year. And, the beat goes on.
- General Information
- Thursday, January 25, 2007
- I'm here for:
- Photo sharing
- Not friend:
- add to friends
to send a gift
There are no gifts yet! Be the first to send this user a virtual gift!
- My Cities
- Background & Lifestyle
- Marital status:
- Proud parent
- Post grad
- Black/African descent
- Christian - other
- Interests & Personality
- singing, music
- gospel, R&B, slow jams, old school hip hop,
- Love Jones, Love and Baskeball, Dreamgirls, The Best Man, Baby Boy, For Colored Girls, Madea Goes to Jail
- Style channel
- Curli~, Stylish Totes that are Unique like You!, TeriBmore, Shatani - Six Years Loc'd Up!, keitta125 (UPDATED 10/3/09), St-Lucia (aka) Firefly..Small Update, Cr8tive.....(updated 1/6/10), Naturally-C, ~Lovemenatural~ 2010 Updates 2/22/10, Cassandra *7/2/12 - small update*, *Ms.DeeDee*, JPearl81, Fxybrwn78 (New Feb-Jun '12 Updates), Southern_Belle...is Jumping the Broom soon!!!!, Kamaliyah, MS. KENDRA~ FEB. 24th Updates, Perdepthtion, Luvbenet- Flat Ironed Hair at Luvbenet2 page!!!!
- Friend of:
- Nappy Nelle, Sweetness, Glowgirl, Tampabayla , BlackPearls, St-Lucia (aka) Firefly..Small Update, ChaoticSoul, Scarcity21-2 starting over...updates 1/7/10, Perlenoire83***1 year loc updates coming soon*****, **Justlex has moved to Justlex2**, EmpressRi ~March updates (finally)!, Scarletjazz, Fxybrwn78 (New Feb-Jun '12 Updates), E4bony, Kamaliyah, Red-Ant Updated 2nd Sep 2010!!, sesamebutterfly, Mikaela- approaching 5 yrs natural!, ShearAffinity, NaturalBornQueen ***Journey To Thicker Hair***, Love and Nappiness * Updated 5/13*, Angeshrty6 (2014 UPDATES COMING SOON!), NP's Miss Nicole ~ Updated 10/16, UneekDiva - Who Gon Check Me Boo? LOL, Diva180, Miss Bonita removed her locs!, thecreativelady, Luvbenet- Flat Ironed Hair at Luvbenet2 page!!!!, Myzen2 ( 2012 Updates), SherryJ! - **Updates Aug 2nd, 2011!!**, Finally a happy nappy --update 11/7/07, VonnaSoNappy_No Lye, LongHairDreams - Updates March 2010, Ladylovely, New Locs .... Rebirth 7/15 pics coming soon, **** 3rd year Natural 2010****, Msdimpled1update 2012, Just Chloe *Second Time Around*, HumbleHair004, ~*~2Lovely~*~Thanks 4 the Congrats~, ღღLuvinme1ღღUPDATES lovin my napps!!, Weirdone (Starting Over... May Update), MsCandyLove, Account has moved to fotki.com/intro2apatterson!!, Caramelhoney01, PrettyD528, ChloeBee818, Jazzie710natural **Under Construction***, REINE1 , iDreamHair, GGirll22, Quest2bfree, Dwaddle26*JANUARY 2011 Update*, Natural Goddess *Got A New Camera & Updates*, JenJen80J, Naturally Me! Protective styling..., CyrlieCoCoaDrEaM, BeautyZify, 1UniqueTrulady, TRios