| || |
- Herlucidsky: February 2018 Updates
- HELLO EVERYONE! WELCOME TO MY PERSONAL ONLINE HAIR JOURNAL!
I started transitioning in 2008 which was when I had my last relaxer. I share my documented hair journey from 2009 while transitioning from relaxed to natural all the way up to present day. This photo journal isn't so mobile friendly, you will have better views of my hair albums via laptop/desktop. I may eventually transfer photos to my blog. We'll see.
****Start here to view my hair journals http://public.fotki.com/Herlucidsky/
While I journal my hair journey on this site, I also archive beautiful heads of Afro-Textured hair, curls and locks on Pinterest: https://www.pinterest.com/herlucidsky/
~**MY HAIR ALBUMS ARE FOR VIEWING PURPOSES ONLY. NO ONE IS AUTHORIZED TO USE MY PHOTOS.**~
***HERE ARE SOME Q&A's ABOUT MY HAIR.***
Always keep in mind that whatever I share with you all is what works for MY hair. I can only give suggestions if asked. I will never tell you what is right for your hair. You are the one that has to figure that out. There is no one size fits all type of rules that one should follow. It is an individual journey for each and every one of us. Therefore, ALWAYS do what works for you and your hair.
I was natural most of my life and the few times that I did relax, it was done only once a year sometimes I would stretch even longer.
**1. LAST RELAXER:
Sometime in July 2008
**2. CURRENT LENGTH:
Thigh length hair(37+ inches)
Check out my length check album: http://public.fotki.com/Herlucidsky/my-natural-hair-/lenght-check/
**3. CURRENT STATE:
Natural. I transitioned for 3 years.(For the newcomers, this means that I grew out my relaxer without chopping off the relaxed ends until 3 years later.)
**4. HAIR GOALS:
~~Healthy long hair.
~~Simplest regimen with minimal products.
~~I am curious about my terminal length, if there is such a thing. I wonder if it can grow down to my hips? My thighs? Beyond? We'll just have to wait and see.
Shampoo/cowash as needed.
Moisturizer/leave-in: Rich moisturizing conditioners(silicone free versions) sometimes mixed with oil.
I lock in all the moisture with Shea butter and or oils.
After wash day I always set my hair in medium sized braids for braid-outs.
Deep Condition as needed.
Trim as needed.
My hair is in a bun most of the time.
I never go to sleep without my satin/silk scarf/bonnet.
**Check out my regimen/product album for more details: http://public.fotki.com/Herlucidsky/products-and-regimens-/natural-hair-regimen/
**6. HAIR TYPE:
Not sure, but for all intents and purposes I'm guessing it's a combination of both 3c/4a. I prefer to describe my hair as Afro-Textured, multi-textured, kinky curly hair. When dried without product it is coarse, dry, some parts wavy, very frizzy, kinky, thick, poofy, big and soft. Wet or with product it is wavy, smooth, coarse, some parts frizzy, kinky curly. It has a mind of its own which is why the hair typing system is useless in my case.
**7. WHEN DID YOU BC?
I chopped off the remainder off relaxed hair after 3 years of transitioning July 26th 2011.
Check out my transitioning albums:http://public.fotki.com/Herlucidsky/the-long-transition/
**8. HOW OFTEN DO YOU TRIM/CUT?
I will trim/cut only if it is necessary, other than that I may do the search and destroy method when needed. I did the same thing while transitioning.
How I trim/cut: http://public.fotki.com/Herlucidsky/my-natural-hair-/2015-/haircut.html
**9. WHAT WERE YOUR FAVORITE TRANSITIONING STYLES?
The first year I did braid-outs and occasional ponytails. During the 2nd and 3rd year I did mainly braided buns, sometimes braid-outs and ponytails.
Albums showing my transitioning hairstyles:http://public.fotki.com/Herlucidsky/the-long-transition/transitioning-styles/
**10. WHEN DID YOUR HAIR JOURNEY BEGIN?
Well I guess you can say I had 2 hair journeys? About 3 years after my first relaxer I decided that I wanted to have healthier and longer relaxed hair. I started caring for my relaxed hair and managed to grow it a little past waist length. So I figured if I can do this while relaxed then why not care for my natural hair in the same way. After my last relaxer in 7/2008 I thought about putting an end to the relaxers but did not officially decide until the end of that year. I then became serious about my natural hair journey during the spring of 2009 and at this point I began documenting my journey on fotki.
The beginning: http://public.fotki.com/Herlucidsky/the-long-transition/transitionting-album/
**11. WHAT LENGTH WAS YOUR HAIR WHEN YOU STARTED THIS JOURNEY?
If you include my relaxed ends, I was around mid-back length at 9 months post relaxer. If I had chopped off my relaxed ends at 9 months post relaxer then my new growth would have probably been roughly 4-5 inches.
Photo of hair when I first started this hair journey: http://public.fotki.com/Herlucidsky/the-long-transition/transitionting-album/img1884.html
**12. HOW DID YOU RETAIN LENGTH WHILE TRANSITIONING AND NOW AS A NATURAL?
During my transition, the first year I did a lot of braid outs but beyond that it was buns 98% of the time..I will always believe that wearing the bun is one of the main reasons for my length retention. Another thing was that I made sure to always saturate my pony tail/ends with moisture and I always locked that moisture in with something heavy like shea butter or oils. As a natural I do the same thing. I believe it's a combination of practicing gentle and healthy hair care techniques with nourishing products. Low manipulation and simplicity will get you far.
Favorite protective hairstyle: http://public.fotki.com/Herlucidsky/the-long-transition/transitioning-styles/img-7366.html
**13. DO YOU USE GROWTH AIDS OR DO ANYTHING SPECIAL FOR HAIR GROWTH?
Nope. I've shared all that I do in my regimen. I don't knock growth aids but I do not feel that it is necessary for me at this time. Also, I have yet to try henna or anything of that sort but I will one day. I focus on length retention instead of growth rate. As long as you are healthy, your hair will grow regardless.
The keys things are:
A. Use gentle hair care practices(be very careful and gentle when washing and detangling). You can eat healthy, take the best hair vitamin pills and use the best products in the world but if you are rough when handling your hair, if you neglect your hair despite how well you eat or what products you use, you will NOT see good results.
B. Preserve those ends by keeping them well nourished, moisturized and protected(which is why I like buns). In addition, it really helps to wear silk or stain head scarf/bonnet when sleeping or lounging around the house.
C. Do everything in sections. When doing daily/weekly/monthly maintenance, it helps to wash, detangle and apply product in sections. This helps to keep everything manageable and organized which results in minimal breakage. The less stress that is placed on the strands the less chances of breakage resulting in more length retention.
D. Accept your hair for what it is. Study your hair and be observant. Take the time to learn and understand your hair and what makes it flourish.
E. Change your mindset. Unlearn everything you were once taught about your hair. The old hair care practices that never really produced any good results, the myths, the assumptions. Approach your hair care with a new pair of eyes. Think positive about your yourself and your hair. You too can attain and maintain healthy and or long hair.
F. Patience is key. Hair grows regardless, the issue most people have is retaining the length. For many, hair grows then it breaks off due to negligence and poor hair care practices which often prevents one from seeing their true length potential. This can lead one to believe that their hair is not growing or it is not in their genes to achieve long hair. I'm here to tell you that unless you have some medical condition or a deficiency in vitamins then your hair will grow with or without any special growth aid. You've got this!
G. Consistency is also key. If you want to see results, if you want to know what actually works for your hair be it a certain product, method/technique or hair tool then you have to be patient and give it time to work. If you are constantly going back and forth trying different methods or new products every week then how would you ever know what is actually working for your hair? Everything takes time.
**14. WHY TRANSITION BACK TO NATURAL?
I just simply want my thickness and texture back. The permanent straight hair got really boring for me. I HIGHLY despised the whole process and going to the salon. Also, I think I underestimated my hair. I want to see my natural hair at its full potential, enjoy and embrace its versatility and have a little more fun with it.
**15. WHY A LONG TERM TRANSITIONER?
There was no point in chopping off my processed ends all at once. My relaxed ends was still my hair nonetheless and I was in no rush to achieve my goals :) When the time was right I chopped.
**16. WOULD YOU EVER CONSIDER RELAXING AGAIN?
No, but while I despised the relaxing process, I did enjoy my relaxed hair while it lasted. The thing that started it all was that for the first time in my life, I was able to grow my hair to waist length and this happened while I was relaxed. So this proved that whether your hair is relaxed or natural, if you care for it, it will flourish. I truly enjoyed my relaxed hair, it was so very convenient but I've come to truly understand and appreciate the versatility of my natural texture. And with this new found knowledge of hair care, my natural hair is even more convenient. No more relaxers for me :)
**17. DID YOU ALWAYS HAVE LONG HAIR?
My hair was around waist length during my relaxer days back in 2006-07. But as a child/teenager it never grew too far beyond bra strap while natural. While transitioning it grew past waist length. Once I started to properly care for my hair, that was when it grew healthier and longer.
Any other questions or concerns never hesitate to contact me. I truly enjoy helping in any way I can :D Also, there is no such thing as a stupid question just ask away. But keep in mind that I only know what works for my hair. I can only give suggestions. When taking advice from others, always take it with a grain of salt. You want to always confirm the advice given with your own extensive research. Do not solely depend on others for help. Nonetheless, I enjoy helping just as much as I enjoy asking questions too :) We are here to learn from each other! So keep in touch! Leave a comment, send me a message! Add me as a fotki friend :)
- General Information
- Wednesday, July 22, 2009
- kinky curly classic length hair, How I grew my hair to thigh length, kinky classic length hair, super long kinky curly hair, afro classic length hair, super long afro hair, classic length hair, natural hair, afro hair, kinky curly hair, afro textured hair, kinky curly classic length hair, afro thigh length hair, kinky curly thigh length hair, 3c/4a classic length hair, 3c/4a thigh length hair, black women with thigh length hair, black woman with thigh length hair, black woman with classic length hair, black girl with classic length hair, black girl with thigh length hair, Black women with super long hair, Black girls with super long hair. black women with very long hair, black girls with very long hair, afro textured classic length hair, curly classic length hair, kinky curly classic length hair, black girl with classic length hair, butt length hair, classic length hair, thigh length hair, african american with classic length hair, 3c classic length hair, 3c/4a classic length hair, long 3C/4A hair, curly butt length hair, 3c butt length hair, 4a classic length hair, 4a butt length hair, 35 inches of kinky curly natural hair, 35 inches of natural hair growth, 37 inches of natural hair growth, black girl with 35 inches of natural hair, black girl with 37 inches of natural hair, black girl who grew classic length hair, how black women grow super long hair, black woman who grew classic length hair, black girl who grew thigh length hair, how i grew my hair to classic length, 35 inches of curly hair, 37 inches of curly hair, how i grew 37 inches of hair, how i grew 35 inches of hair, how to grow classic length hair, how to grow curly classic length hair, how to grow kinky curly hair long, how to grow out your relaxer, how to grow long curly hair, how to grow long afro hair, how to grow classic length hair, how to grow thigh length hair, how to grow butt length hair, how to grow tailbone length hair, black girl with tailbone length hair, black women with tailbone length hair, 3c/4a tailbone length hair, kinky curly tailbone length hair,thigh length hair, thigh length hair, afro thigh length hair, kinky curly thigh length hair 3c thigh length hair, 3c/4a thigh length hair, black women with thigh length hair, black girl with thigh length hair, curly thigh length hair, afro classic length hair, classic length hair, afro classic length hair, curly classic length hair, kinky curly classic length hair, 3c classic length hair, black girl with classic length hair, black women with classic length hair, black women with super long hair, black girls with super long hair, tail bone length braidout, super long 3c hair, long 3c hair, long afro hair, afro rapunzel, black girls with extremely long hair, black women with extremely long hair, how to grow thigh length hair, how to grow afro hair long, how to grow kinky curly hair long, how to grow classic length hair, how i grew my hair to thigh length, how i grew my hair to tailbone length, how i grew my hair to waist length, how I grew my hair to butt length, how I grew my afro hair long,
- Not friend:
- add to friends
- Contact Information
- Personal website:
to send a gift
- Interests & Personality
- The unknown, science, history, religion, philosophy, the mind, movies, nature, farming, holistic medicine, dark matter, black holes, beauty, exchanging knowledge.
- Trance, old school rap/hiphop, disco, house, classical, electronic, Jazz, Ambiance Acoustics. Some artist; London Grammar, Odesza, Toro Y Moi, Amel larrieux, fugees,imogen heap,Rob Dougan, Jamiroquai, vertical horizon, moby, gorillaz, Linkin park, kaleo
- idiocracy,V for Vendetta, Gattaca, The good doctors, the sixth sense, The crow, Transformers, karate kid, fracture, Charlie and the chocolate factory,The Dark knight,My life as a dog,national treasure,Pan's Labyrinth,The Matrix, Transcendence, Superman
- fringe, 24, Penny Dreadful, Sleepy Hollow, Doctor Who, Sherlock! Westworld, Game of Thrones,Vikings,The Turdors, Perception, Person of Interest, Da Vinci's Demon,The Black list, Gotham, Legends, Orphan Black, Marvel’s Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D, Dominion
- Anyone that helps in making the world a better place. Those who are driven by love for humanity. Those who overcome adversity with integrity. Those who embrace diversity. Those who genuinely practice humility. Free thinkers.
- Books that feed my curiosity as I seek enlightenment, unraveling the mysteries of this world and the "truth." The Bible, The Torah, The Quran, 1984, Philosophy books, Aesop's fables, Rich dad poor dad, any great book about Buddhism..etc